A good book is like a good tour guide
I once watched a TV program that was taking people on a tour of a local cathedral and to my surprise found it fascinating. It made me want to go and explore it for myself, and then the penny dropped, it was Norwich Cathedral a place I had visited on many occasions. (Yes, I can be pretty daft at times.)
So what made me so fascinated? Simple, it was the help of a good tour guide.
A good tour guide...
- Helps us to pause, look more deeply and learn
- Points out things we might have otherwise missed
- Gives us a different perspective on something we might have seen many times.
- Encourages us to delve beneath the surface of our understanding
- Helps grow our interest, fascination and wonder
A good book is like a good tour guide.
So here's a few 'tour guide' recommendations off the back of our preaching series 'Church; on our knees and on our feet'.
- A Praying Life; connecting with God in a distracting world by Paul E. Miller. A brilliant, practical, helpful and insightful read. One of the best books on prayer I've ever read, he's an excellent tour guide! Buy here
- Just Walk Across the room; simple steps pointing people to Faith by Bill Hybels. We want everyone-a-witness at King's. This book will take the pressure off and help bring the passion on to step out and tell others about Jesus. Buy here
- Relational Mission; a way of life by Mike Betts. Short, simple and easy to read, but packs a punch, full of personal stories and will help give you a deeper understanding of who we are, what we're here for and where we're heading as a family of churches.
So grab a good tour guide and have a good summer.